Trump announces Gaza ceasefire plan

- President Donald Trump said on July 31 that a U.S.-brokered Gaza deal would phase in Hamas disarmament and Israeli withdrawal as implementation proceeds. - Benjamin Netanyahu said on August 5 there would be no Israeli withdrawal from current Gaza lines until Hamas is completely disarmed. - Israeli and Lebanese negotiators were meeting in Rome as Israel struck south Lebanon after two soldiers were killed.

President Donald Trump said on July 31 that his administration had reached what he called an agreement for the complete disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza, presenting it as the next phase of a U.S.-backed ceasefire framework. Trump said the plan would unfold in stages, with Israeli forces withdrawing as disarmament proceeds and an international stabilization force working with a new Palestinian police force in Gaza. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on August 5 that Israel would not withdraw from its current positions in Gaza until Hamas is fully disarmed, casting immediate doubt on how and when the plan could move from announcement to implementation. Reporting from the same period also showed Israeli strikes continuing in Gaza and Israeli military action expanding on the Lebanon front. (business-standard.com) ### What did Trump actually announce? Trump said the agreement covered the “complete disarmament” of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza and described it as a milestone in his broader plan to end the war. He said the arrangement would be carried out in “carefully structured phases,” linking Israeli troop withdrawals to progress on disarmament. (business-standard.com) The framework Trump described also included an International Stabilization Force and a new Palestinian police force that would assume responsibility for security in Gaza as the process advances. That structure suggests the plan is not just a ceasefire announcement but an effort to define who would control security after fighting subsides. (business-standard.com) ### Why is Netanyahu’s position so important? Netanyahu said on August 5 that there would be no Israeli withdrawal from current Gaza lines until Hamas had completely disarmed. That condition goes to the center of the plan because Trump’s framework ties Israeli withdrawal to phased disarmament rather than to an immediate pullback. (business-standard.com) Business Standard, citing the Associated Press, reported that Netanyahu’s remarks pushed back on the deal Trump had announced days earlier. The same report said the comments added uncertainty to what had been presented as a possible breakthrough. ### What was happening on the ground in Gaza as this was announced? (business-standard.com) CNN reported on August 1 that Israeli strikes hit Gaza less than 48 hours after Trump said Hamas and Israel had agreed to advance a ceasefire plan. The report said one strike left a large crater at a hospital site and damaged medical supplies, according to local authorities cited by CNN. (business-standard.com) Those strikes underscored the gap between diplomatic announcements and battlefield conditions. Trump’s public description of a phased agreement did not by itself halt military operations, and neither the Israeli government’s conditions nor the mechanics of enforcement appeared settled in the reporting available on August 5 and August 6. (edition.cnn.com) ### How does Lebanon fit into the same story? The BBC reported that Israel struck south Lebanon after two soldiers were killed in an explosion, despite an existing ceasefire framework on that front. The strikes came while Israeli and Lebanese negotiators were meeting in Rome to pursue a longer-term settlement, according to reporting cited in the source briefings. That meant the same week that Trump was promoting a Gaza disarmament plan, Israel was also responding to a deadly incident on its northern border. (business-standard.com) The parallel flare-up in Lebanon added another layer of uncertainty around any broader regional de-escalation. ### What should readers watch next? The next test is whether Israeli and Hamas positions move closer on sequencing: Trump’s plan links withdrawal to phased disarmament, while Netanyahu has said no withdrawal will happen until disarmament is complete. (player.bbc.com) Any public acceptance, rejection or amendment from Hamas, Israel or U.S. officials would determine whether the framework becomes an implemented deal or remains a diplomatic proposal. Rome talks involving Israeli and Lebanese negotiators are another near-term marker. Alongside those talks, any verified change in Israeli military activity in Gaza or south Lebanon will show whether the ceasefire language is being matched by changes on the ground. (player.bbc.com) (business-standard.com)

Get your own daily briefing

Scout delivers personalized news, insights, and conversations tailored to your role and industry.

Download on the App Store

Shared from Scout - Be the smartest in the room.