Netanyahu refuses Gaza withdrawal
- Benjamin Netanyahu said on August 4 Israel would not withdraw from its current Gaza lines until Hamas is completely disarmed, challenging the October 2025 ceasefire framework. - Board of Peace envoy Nikolay Mladenov held “constructive and detailed” talks with Netanyahu, while Palestinians in Gaza buried 112 bodies recovered from a 2023 strike. - Israel’s October election is the next major test, with analysts telling The New Arab it could complicate further ceasefire and disarmament talks.
Benjamin Netanyahu said on August 4 that Israeli forces would not withdraw from their current positions in Gaza until Hamas had completely disarmed, breaking with the sequence laid out in the October 2025 ceasefire arrangement. Netanyahu made the remarks in a video statement, saying Israel had not accepted terms that would require a pullback before Hamas gave up its weapons. The October 2025 deal had been presented as a phased process linking Hamas disarmament to a halt in Israeli strikes and an Israeli withdrawal from parts of Gaza. Netanyahu’s statement signaled that Israel was insisting on a different order: disarmament first, withdrawal later. Nikolay Mladenov, the Board of Peace’s high representative for Gaza, met Netanyahu on Monday in Jerusalem in an effort to keep the disarmament track alive. (courthousenews.com) The Board of Peace said the talks were “constructive and detailed” and said Mladenov also urged a halt to strikes. ### What exactly did Netanyahu refuse? Netanyahu said Israel would not leave its “current lines” in Gaza before Hamas was fully disarmed. (courthousenews.com) In his statement, he said Israel had not agreed to the Board of Peace’s terms as presented and had submitted amendments. The current dispute centers on sequencing. Under the deal announced in recent days, Hamas was to begin disarming while Israel halted strikes and started withdrawing from Gaza. (religionnews.com) Netanyahu’s position rejects that overlap and conditions any Israeli pullback on complete prior disarmament. ### How does that clash with the ceasefire already in place? October 10, 2025, is the date several reports identify as the start of the ceasefire that ended major military operations in Gaza. (timesofisrael.com) That framework included an Israeli withdrawal to the Yellow Line during its initial phase, according to reporting cited in the briefing and subsequent coverage. The dispute now is over what comes after that first phase. (courthousenews.com) The Times of Israel reported that Israel had previously withdrawn to the original Yellow Line under the ceasefire-hostage deal but later expanded its control beyond it, adding to friction over the next stage. ### Why was Mladenov in Jerusalem? Mladenov’s visit was tied to a Board of Peace effort to secure a new disarmament arrangement with Hamas and stabilize Gaza’s postwar transition. (algemeiner.com) The Board said its envoy discussed both the disarmament proposal and the need to stop ongoing strikes. UPI, citing the same diplomatic push, reported that Mladenov had publicly complained that Israeli attacks were continuing even after Hamas agreed in principle to a disarmament framework. (timesofisrael.com) That left mediators trying to preserve a deal while fighting and political disputes continued around it. ### What was happening in Gaza as the talks went on? Gaza City held a mass funeral on August 4 for 112 bodies recovered from the rubble of a 2023 Israeli strike in the Sabra neighborhood. (religionnews.com) The remains were recovered only recently, after access improved under the fragile ceasefire, according to multiple reports. The funeral underscored how much of the war’s human toll is still being uncovered long after the original attack. (upi.com) Reports said the dead included members of two families whose homes were destroyed in one of the deadliest strikes of 2023. ### Why are analysts focused on October? The New Arab reported on August 4 that Israel’s October election could narrow Netanyahu’s room to agree to a Gaza withdrawal before voting. (aljazeera.com) Analysts quoted by the publication said the political cost of appearing to concede ground to Hamas could make progress on the ceasefire’s next phase harder. That means the next test is not only on the battlefield or at the negotiating table. (timeslive.co.za) October’s election campaign, Mladenov’s continued diplomacy and any follow-up Board of Peace talks are the concrete milestones to watch in the effort to keep the ceasefire and disarmament process from breaking down. (religionnews.com) (newarab.com)