Woman Charged Over 62 Alleged Threatening Letters

- NSW Police said on August 5 they charged a 36-year-old Constitution Hill woman with 62 offences over allegedly sending threatening letters statewide. - The 62 charges include 19 counts of threatening death or grievous bodily harm, plus stalking, postal menace, false accusation and deception offences. - The woman was refused bail on August 5 and was due to appear in Parramatta Local Court.

NSW Police said on Wednesday, August 5, that a 36-year-old woman had been charged with 62 offences after an investigation into allegedly threatening letters sent to organisations and individuals across the state. Police said the letters were sent to an exhibition space in Darlinghurst, a place of worship in Lakemba, politicians, individuals, a media outlet and government agencies at local, state and federal level. The woman was arrested at about 6 a.m. at a home in Constitution Hill and taken to Parramatta Police Station, police said. She was refused bail and appeared in Parramatta Local Court later that day, according to police. ### Which police investigation led to the charges? May 2026 is when officers from the Security Investigation Unit within the Counter Terrorism & Special Tactics Command set up Strike Force Eckon, NSW Police said. Police said the strike force was created in response to what they described as a large volume of letters sent to a broad mix of recipients, including politicians and government agencies. (police.nsw.gov.au) Thursday, July 16, 2026, is when detectives executed a search warrant at the Constitution Hill home, NSW Police said. Police said officers seized a number of electronic devices during that search and later made the arrest at the same address on August 5. (police.nsw.gov.au) ### What offences did police say were laid? NSW Police said the woman was charged with 19 counts of sending a document threatening death or grievous bodily harm, 14 counts of stalking or intimidation with intent to cause fear of physical harm in a domestic context, and 10 counts of stalking or intimidation with intent to cause fear of physical harm in a personal context. Police also listed six counts of using a postal or similar service to menace, harass or offend, 10 counts of making a false accusation with intent to subject another person to investigation, one count of using a false document to influence the exercise of a public duty, one count of dishonestly obtaining a financial advantage by deception and one count of using a false document to obtain a financial advantage. (police.nsw.gov.au) ABC News, citing court documents, reported a slightly different breakdown of some counts, including 18 threats to kill, 23 stalking and intimidation charges, eight charges of using a postal service to menace, harass or offend, and 10 charges of making false accusations. The total number of charges was 62 in both the police statement and the court reporting. (police.nsw.gov.au) ### Who did police say received the letters? ABC News reported that court documents alleged the woman threatened NSW Labor minister Jihad Dib, One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, independent federal MP Allegra Spender, Parramatta federal MP Andrew Charlton and Macnamara federal MP Josh Burns. The same report said police also alleged a death threat was sent to 2GB presenter Mark Levy and former Australian Jewish Association president David Adler. (abc.net.au) NSW Police did not name alleged recipients in their August 5 statement. Their statement instead described the targets by category, including an exhibition space in Darlinghurst, a place of worship in Lakemba, politicians, a media outlet and government agencies. (abc.net.au) ### How long do police say the alleged conduct lasted? Court prosecutor submissions reported by ABC News said police allege the letters were sent over a five-year period from 2021 to 2026. ABC said prosecutors told the court they had DNA evidence and alleged that the conduct had escalated, with several letters sent in 2026 and nearly 60% of the letters received that year. (police.nsw.gov.au) June 30, 2026, is when NSW Police and the Australian Federal Police had earlier appealed for public help over threatening letters sent to parliamentarians, religious organisations and community leaders. In that separate public appeal, police said more than 100 letters sent between 2015 and 2026 had been seized and forensically examined under Strike Force Yewrangara and an AFP national security investigation. (abc.net.au) ### Is this the same matter as the earlier public appeal? NSW Police named the August 5 case as Strike Force Eckon, while the June 30 public appeal referred to Strike Force Yewrangara and an AFP National Security Investigations inquiry. The June appeal also described a suspected author police believed was a Caucasian man in his 60s who used the names “Scorpio” or “Bullit” in letters. (police.nsw.gov.au) The available public statements do not explicitly say the two investigations are the same. The overlap is that both involve threatening or harassing letters sent to parliamentarians, religious organisations and other public figures in New South Wales. (police.nsw.gov.au) ### What happens next in court? Parramatta Local Court heard the matter on Wednesday, August 5, when the woman was refused bail, according to NSW Police and ABC News. ABC identified the defendant as Jasmine Baker, 36, and reported that her lawyer argued she had not acted on the alleged threats and sought her release. (police.nsw.gov.au) Any next hearing date was not listed in the police statement reviewed for this report. The case will continue through Parramatta Local Court, where the 62 charges laid by NSW Police are to be tested. (police.nsw.gov.au)

Get your own daily briefing

Scout delivers personalized news, insights, and conversations tailored to your role and industry.

Download on the App Store

Shared from Scout - Be the smartest in the room.