Raleigh Family Demands Answers From ICE
- On August 3, WRAL reported that a Cary family said ICE detained Gabriel Lasanda Johnson in July and that he later suffered a stroke. - Gabri Johnson said her 55-year-old father was taken on July 15, transferred through Georgia and Texas, and left partially paralyzed after a stroke. - Rep. Valerie Foushee’s office said it is working with the family and pressing ICE as they seek Johnson’s release.
Gabri Johnson said on July 15 that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents came to her family’s home in Cary, North Carolina, and took her father, Gabriel Lasanda Johnson, into custody. Johnson, 55, was later moved through detention facilities in North Carolina, Georgia and Texas, according to his family, which says he suffered a stroke on July 30 while in ICE custody. WRAL reported on August 3 that ICE did not immediately answer its questions about why Johnson was detained or the family’s allegations about his care. The family has since gone public, saying it wants records, a timeline and a clear account of his status. ### Why is this Raleigh-area family demanding answers now? Gabri Johnson said in a social media video and interviews published July 31 and August 3 that the family’s push intensified after a Texas hospital called to say her father had been rushed there after a stroke. She said the left side of his body was paralyzed and that relatives had been trying to secure his release to a rehabilitation setting. (wral.com) The family says it still does not have a full public explanation from ICE about the basis for the detention, the timing of Johnson’s transfers or the circumstances surrounding his medical emergency. WRAL said ICE had not immediately responded to requests for comment, including questions about why Johnson was taken into custody and why he allegedly was not given medication or allowed to speak directly with relatives. (thegrio.com) ### What does the family say happened after the arrest in Cary? TheGrio reported that Gabriel Johnson was first held at an ICE facility in Cary, then spent about two weeks at Stewart Detention Center in Lumpkin, Georgia, before being transferred to Prairieland Detention Center in Alvarado, Texas. Gabri Johnson told the outlet that her father had lived in the United States since age 15 after being born in Liberia and had legal status but never became a U.S. citizen. (wral.com) WRAL reported that the family was initially told the detention involved what Gabri Johnson described as a misunderstanding around a missed immigration appointment. She later said the family was told officials were pursuing his removal under a broader federal immigration policy change. That account has been presented by the family; ICE had not publicly confirmed it in the reports reviewed. (thegrio.com) ### What are the allegations about his treatment in custody? Gabri Johnson told WRAL and TheGrio that her father repeatedly asked for food, water and stroke medication while in detention. She said those requests were not consistently met and linked that treatment to the stroke he suffered in Texas. (wral.com) WRAL said the family filed an emergency stay of removal in an effort to keep Gabriel Johnson in the United States for several months while he stabilized medically, but Gabri Johnson said that request was denied. Hoodline, citing prior reporting, said the denial left the family trying to prevent him from being returned to immigration custody while he recovered. (wral.com) ### Which public officials are involved? Rep. Valerie Foushee’s office told WRAL that the North Carolina Democrat is aware of Gabriel Johnson’s case and is working with the family. In an Instagram story cited by WRAL, Foushee said her office was in contact with the family, was trying to secure his release from ICE custody and was working with congressional colleagues in Texas. (wral.com) No public statement from ICE disputing or confirming the family’s account appeared in the reports reviewed as of August 6. That leaves the public record centered on the family’s account, media reporting and Foushee’s office saying it is pressing for answers. ### What is the family asking ICE to provide? (wral.com) The family’s public demand is for a clear chronology: why agents came to the Cary home on July 15, where Gabriel Johnson was held at each stage, what medical care he received, and what his custody status is now. Those questions track the ones WRAL said it sent to ICE after the family went public. (wral.com) As of August 6, the next concrete step remained the family’s effort, with Foushee’s office, to obtain Johnson’s release and a fuller response from ICE about his detention and medical care. (wral.com)