Police Update: US Consulate Shooting on University Ave
- Toronto police said a firearm was discharged outside the U.S. Consulate at 360 University Ave. on July 27, 2026, damaging the facade but injuring nobody. - Police said the suspect vehicle was a newer-model white Honda Accord without licence plates, and officers ended a chase after speeds exceeded 140 km/h. - Toronto Police Chief Myron Demkiw and Chief Supt. Joe Matthews were scheduled to give an update at 11 a.m. Thursday.
Toronto police said a firearm was discharged outside the U.S. Consulate in downtown Toronto on July 27, the second shooting at the diplomatic building this year. Investigators said an officer stationed outside the consulate at 360 University Ave. heard what was believed to be a gunshot at about 4:46 a.m. and saw a white Honda Accord flee southbound. Officers found evidence of gunfire and damage to the stone facade above the front entrance, but no injuries were reported. Chief Myron Demkiw was scheduled to provide an update on the case on Thursday morning at police headquarters. ### How did police say the latest shooting unfolded? Toronto Police Service said the July 27 shooting happened at approximately 4:46 a.m. outside the consulate at University Avenue and Queen Street West. An officer posted outside the building heard what police believed was a gunshot and then saw a newer-model white Honda Accord leaving the area. Police vehicles pursued the car eastbound on Gerrard Street and then northbound on the Don Valley Parkway, according to the service. (tps.ca) Deputy Chief Frank Barredo said officers called off the chase near Don Mills Road because the vehicle was travelling at more than 140 kilometres per hour and continuing the pursuit posed a public-safety risk. ### What damage was reported at the consulate? (tps.ca) The Toronto police release said officers at the scene found evidence confirming that a firearm had been discharged. Damage was found on the stone facade above the front entrance of the building, and two security personnel were inside at the time. No injuries were reported. CBC reported that police had previously said a single shell casing was found near the building. (tps.ca) A spokesperson for the U.S. embassy said last week that nobody was hurt and thanked Toronto police for what CBC described as a rapid response. ### What do investigators know about the suspects? Toronto police said they have not released a suspect description beyond the vehicle: a newer-model white Honda Accord with no licence plates. (tps.ca) The service published images of the car and asked anyone who witnessed the shooting, or who has dash-camera or security footage from the area, to contact investigators. The investigation is being led by the Integrated Gun and Gang Task Force with support from the Counter Terrorism Security Unit, police said. (cbc.ca) Barredo said on July 27 that investigators were reviewing video and gathering evidence to determine who was responsible. ### How does this connect to the March 10 shooting? Toronto police said a similar shooting occurred at the same consulate on March 10, 2026. (tps.ca) In that earlier case, police said two suspects fired multiple rounds at the front entrance before fleeing in a stolen vehicle, and the case later drew a wider investigation involving Toronto police and other agencies. In June 2026, Toronto police announced arrests in the March investigation. (tps.ca) CityNews reported that police later arrested 19-year-old Zara Jabbi, whom they described as the final outstanding suspect, after earlier charges were laid against other teens in the case. ### What were police expected to say on Thursday? (tps.ca) A Toronto police media advisory said Demkiw was due to speak at 11 a.m. on Thursday, August 6, at Toronto Police Headquarters. Chief Superintendent Joe Matthews of Detective Operations was also scheduled to appear, and the briefing was to be livestreamed on YouTube. Toronto police said residents should expect an increased police presence around University Avenue while investigators continue their work. (toronto.citynews.ca) The service asked anyone who was in the area between Queen Street West and College Street from about 4:30 a.m. to 5 a.m. on July 27 to contact investigators at 416-808-2510 or Crime Stoppers. (tps.ca) (tps.ca)